who we are
Bangur Group was founded by Mr. Ramcoowar and Mr. Mugneeram Bangur in 1918. On the backdrop of the ongoing freedom struggle, the two brothers got together to build a business empire that would continue strong for more than a century and become billion-dollar in worth
Mr. Mugneeram Bangur was a stockbroker in Calcutta. Along with his brother, Mr. Ramcoowar, he gave Bangur Group a humble beginning. It soon scaled. From 1930, for the next 50 years, it ranked among India’s top five business houses with a very diverse business interests in the manufacturing and supplying of jute goods, paper, synthetic yarn and cloth, cotton fabrics, cement, tea, coffee, rubber plantation, steel wires and ropes, sisal and manila ropes, power cables, paints, graphite electrodes, and more.
Over the course, both the founders also took many philanthropic initiatives, contributing in the making of schools, temples, universities, hospitals, and townships – passionate effort that continues to inspire and guide their heirs till this day.
Since inception, for the next seven decades, Bangur Group had an exceptional run, becoming one of the top Indian groups, recognized even globally. To continue on its growth trajectory, scale it across different sectors and for operational efficiency, in 1991, the conglomerate was divided into five groups among the grandsons of the founders; Shree Kumar Bangur was one of them. He is a passionate and committed businessman. He is able to see into the future and envision something that others cannot yet see. He is a Committee Member of the Indian Chamber of Commerce, the Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce & Industry (FICCI), and Bharat Chamber of Commerce.
In the past he has served as the President of the Indian Chamber of Commerce and the Indian Paper Manufacturers Association. Being a part of the Bangur family that is famous for its philanthropic work, he too has carried on the tradition and is associated with a number of trusts and charitable organizations that help the less privileged section of our community.
chairman & md
shiv shankar gupta
Mission & vision
SK Bangur Group is on a mission to create one of the most trusted business groups and also make a significant social impact in different sectors, be it through generating employment, promoting green adoption for a better environment, or incorporating the latest technology to achieve optimum efficiency.
Our vision includes a world where the corporate sector recognizes its social responsibilities and mass-adopts practices that form and foster communities of happier and healthier individuals. At SK Bangur Group, we are continuously working towards that vision by being more environment-friendly, promoting innovations, bringing fairness in dealings and valuing humans.
In short, our mission and vision align with that of our founders’: Being good in business and great as community members.
business & milestone
SK Bangur Group goes “beyond business”. We take Corporate Social Responsibilities (CSR) seriously and not just for the namesake. And our commitment, community work and social impact over the decades mirror this exceptionally well.
Aside from employing thousands of workers and boosting local markets, we also provide them and their families with better healthcare, education and other integral facilities. Among various social projects we have undertaken per the CSR initiative, our work in villages near Dandeli stands to be the source of our biggest pride.
SK Bangur Group of Companies fund and maintain a colony in Dandeli that has now emerged to be self-sufficient with incredible facilities like hospital, shopping complex, temple, theatre, and more. FROM water supply TO distribution of medicines and social awareness programs TO education – we continue to provide and nourish villages with a big smile on our faces.
In addition, the Group has also taken many initiatives to promote “green practices” that contribute to the betterment of the environment. Not only we employ efficient techniques and the best infrastructure, but we’re also packed with teams of professionals and workers who are passionate about environmental issues.
Our CSR initiatives have been the key driver behind our business sustainability.
1918: Bangur Group was founded.
1919: Kilkotagiri and Thirumbadi Plantations Limited was founded.
1955: West Coast Paper Mills Limited was founded.
1962: Jayshree Chemicals Limited founded was founded.
1992: Bangur Group split; SK Bangur Group came into existence.
1995: Gloster Cables Limited was founded.
1996: West Coast Optilinks was founded.
Our CSR initiatives for the villages include the following:
- Water supply projects.
- School uniform distributions.
- Subsidized notebook distributions.
- Cattle vaccination program.
- Distributions of medicines.
- Medical facilities such as mobile health care units.
- Drinking water arrangements.
- Drinking water arrangements for cattle.
- Organizing social awareness programes
Dandeli Education Society has been receiving our financial support regularly since 1963. This society comprises of the premier educational network in Dandeli running a number of educational institutions in the area. These include primary education, two Pre-university colleges and a Degree college. The professional course in Pulp and Paper Technology and Post Graduate Programes in Chemistry and Commerce are being run by the society with the help of our CSR wing.
The CSR wing of WCPM works towards the protection and conservation of the environment in a number of ways. Our research and development wing has taken measures to stabilize fly-ash dumps through biological means so as to reduce air pollution in the area surrounding the mill.
We also promote agro-forestry among local landholders.
OUR QUALITY, ENVIRONMENT AND OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFETY POLICY
We, at West Coast Paper Mills Limited shall,
- Ensure compliance of all applicable legislation for our products, services and processes.
- Ensure development of employees, suppliers and contractors in such a way that they become competent and skillful,
- Achieve zero accidents and minimize various losses,
- Prevent accidents, hazard potential, pollution and wastes at source,
- Conserve resources focusing on energy, water and other crucial inputs,
- Maintain and develop green belt in and around the mills to preserve and protect the ecosystem,
- Improve health, hygiene and safety of employees through TQM approach,
- Consider quality, environment, Occupational health and safety performance of the employees while evaluating their performance or development,
- Include quality, environment, occupational health and safety in our decisions.
- This policy shall be instilled among all employees through HRD initiatives:
- Placement and development of personnel, Training in Handling, storage, preservation and use of all chemical,
- Purchase of plant, equipment / machinery & spares keeping the policy in view,
- Developing a culture of using adequate PPEs while on work.
- Make this policy available to the employees, stakeholders and other interested parties.